I hate the word "stewardship"

I listen to Christian radio when I get tired of my albums. Don't judge, but it is necessary for me to listen to music to which I can let my guard down. I know it is not good, but I am not going to drive in silence. 

Well, tonight they were talking about stewardship and the Bible.

The mere sound of the word irked me. Why? What bugs me about it? Driving to the grocery story sans kids gave me some room for introspection. My answer is two-fold:

The idea of "stewardship" assumes that (1) there is some discernment that is needed on my part, and (2) that I get to keep some of the thing that is stewarded - which is 99% of the time talking about money/wealth.

Newsflash, we don't get to keep it and there is no decision to make. Jesus is pretty clear, "Sell your possessions, and give it to the poor. Make purses for yourselves that do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven..." (Luke 12 - there are a bunch more, I just like this one. ok?).

"Jaymes, this is too idealistic," they will say. 
Or better yet, "you have stuff."
If they are really honest they will just admit, "that is too hard."

And they are right on all accounts.

Because, in reality, it is not impossible - just too hard. We can all sell our stuff and move to India and be like Mother Theresa. We just don't want to. We don't have the faith or desire.

My goal in life is to have nothing. To die with literally nothing. The only possessions I care about are my books and even then, I will donate them to my church's library and use them when I want (because let's be honest - church libraries are not used that often). Ok, ok, I also care about my musical instruments, and I have not thought of a way out of owning them yet. I am just hoping old age and maturity will kick in.

Maybe this is how I sleep at night. My intentions are noble. They are pure and good and aim at obeying wholly. And yet I get so frustrated with Christians who have no intention of even trying. They devise half-hearted theologies and economies to keep what they have. These ideas aren't even that convincing, but when we want what we want, we don't need much swaying. 

So, in ignorance or arrogance, brokenness and sin, I must maintain that stewardship is an idea that automatically assumes disobedience to Christ's commands. Don't be fooled. Start divesting now. At least make it your goal, if not actually giving up all your stuff except necessities. 

Finally, a word to myself as one who judges myself based on my intentions and not my actions, our measurement of success is Christ alone. Settle for nothing less. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garageband Tricks: 3/4 Drum loops and low volume exporting!

Review-ish of N. T. Wright's "Surprised by Hope"

Righteousness vs. Justice - Dikaiosyne in Scripture