Reflecting on Creation Care

Blessed Earth, led by Dr. Matthew Sleeth and his wife Nancy, has a website that will keep anyone up-to-date on biblical environmental stewardship. He is the author of "Serve God, Save the Planet" and his testimony is amazing in how creation and Christianity interweave.

They have posted, under the resources, some scripture that I love to reflect on. But there is one passage that has particularly impacted me:
"Hear the word of the Lord, O people of Israel;
   for the Lord has an indictment against the inhabitants of the land.
There is no faithfulness or loyalty,
   and no knowledge of God in the land.
Swearing, lying, and murder,
   and stealing and adultery break out;
   bloodshed follows bloodshed.
Therefore the land mourns,
   and all who live in it languish;
together with the wild animals
   and the birds of the air,
   even the fish of the sea are perishing.

Yet let no one contend,
   and let none accuse,
   for with you is my contention, O priest"
                                           ~(Hosea 4). 
Because of our action, creation is "perishing." Because of our sin, creation has been fractured. Creation care goes so much further than just a nice application of Christian do-good. It is fractured because of sin; our sin.

Not only does it seem right and good to take on these issues, but as a way of dealing with our sin, both on a personal level and as a people. To fully claim salvation through the suffering savior, we must repent, we must turn from our broken way.
  • What role does this play in my life?
  • How can I apply this to my life as a "priest" and example to the community?
  • How do I convict other Christians without offending?
  • Does offense come so easily because of creation's connection to our sin, both personally and as a people group?
  • What is my role and responsibility in the blame and how can I help?

Comments

  1. I simply have to state that I greatly enjoy reading your posts. They are always insightful and encouraging, and have been greatly helpful in creating my own thought processes and opinions on these topics.
    Have to let you know you have at least one fan. =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review-ish of N. T. Wright's "Surprised by Hope"

Garageband Tricks: 3/4 Drum loops and low volume exporting!

Mormonism and Christianity - Differences and Similarities